7/19/08

Meeting Masami Teraoka


I had the good fortune to meet the world renown painter Masami Teraoka at the Catherine Clarke Gallery in Union Square. Now C. Clarke Gallery is on Minna, by the Moma.
So there was Masami, and I come in with my brother Byron. I spot Masami accross the room. Right away we had the kamaaina connection. We had a nice time chatting and we stayed in touch. Growing up he was a local famous artist, whose work I saw in museums and on prints most of my childhood. His paintings opened up some very interesting dialog because of their somewhat shocking subject matter, and riveting, irreverent mix of very old Japanese painting style with new concepts. My brother also enjoyed meeting him. I was with the famous painter Hung Liu, who was my painting professor, and we talked of Masami. Masami- she says Hi. She was in the last issue of Art in America.
So, best wishes to you and your family in Hawaii Masami. Please Google his images, and check out the Catherine Clarke Gallery.